The H&R Block free e-file service is a popular tax service offered by the well-known tax preparation company. Said service is in line with the company’s commitment toward providing taxpayers with valuable education and reliable information in tax matters. Think of the free service as a community service although we must also say that it’s an effective marketing tool!
The Benefits of Free E-file
H&R Block is among the most reputable tax preparation companies in North America, Australia and India – and it’s definitely the go-to tax preparer for millions of Americans who want to avoid the hassles of unpleasant dealings with the Taxman. The company offers retail services at its 12,000-plus offices and digital services via its official website; among its digital services is its consumer tax software.
Under its digital services is the free e-filing, or electronic filing, of individual tax returns. Basically, e-filing is submission of your completed and correct tax return to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) via electronic means – and in the Internet Age, it means via the IRS official website or other digital methods recommended by the tax agency.
Keep in mind that the free e-filing service offered by H&R Block requires certain responsibilities on your part. In other words, the tax professionals at H&R Block will not do all the work for you while you sit back and relax. Instead, you must fill in the required fields, check that the information entered is accurate, and ensure that exemptions and deductions are entered, among others.
But you don’t have to shoulder all the burden either. You can rely on the free e-file service for the following aspects:
- Import your previous year’s return from TaxAct, Turbo tax, or Credit Karma – or from any other tax preparer
- Snap a photo of the import process to your W-2
- Import your relevant documents including 1095-A, 1098, 1098-E, 1098-T, 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, and 1099-R Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- See the changes in your refunds using the Refund Reveal feature
- Avail of the technical support provided by H&R Block; the support comes by way of chat, a faster and easier means of communication than emails
- Get information on real estate taxes and home mortgage interest deductions
H&R Block may be offering a free e-filing service but it isn’t the lame e-filing service offered by its competitors. Instead, you will get the best possible service considering that it’s free, not to mention that H&R Block tax professionals can provide valuable – but for free – guidance on your tax return.
The Process in a Nutshell
The free e-filing service requires a few steps from an interested individual but these steps are so easy to do that even a first-time client can do them.
- Snap a photo of your W-2 form and upload it to the official website of H&R Block specifically on the free e-filing page. The tax professionals at H&R Block will then place the relevant information on your W-2 form on the appropriate form. You can then begin your for-free tax preparation.
- Switch to the H&R Block’s service. Just drag and drop your tax return from whatever tax preparer program you have been using; you can transfer from TaxAct, TurboTax, and Credit Karma to the H&R Block service.
- Take advantage of the expert guidance provided by the H&R Block professionals! You will be guided through the ways of maximizing your deductions for real estate taxes and home mortgage interest.
- Enjoy the highest possible refund, thanks partly to the assistance of the H&R Block tax professionals.
While the H&R Block free e-file service has its benefits, however, you may want to avail of its paid services. You will get the best value for your money when you do because H&R Block has several guarantees that will work in your favor, such as maximum refund guarantee, audit support guarantee, and 100% accuracy guarantee.